of Campton and Chicksands (which was
formed in 1985) is situated approximately
9 miles southeast of the town of Bedford,
13 miles from Junction 13 on the M1 and 7 miles
from Junction 10 on the A1.
The village of Campton is built
the 13th century All Saints' Church and
stands on a tributary of the river Ivel.
It has a number of old and interesting buildings
including The Manor house, built in 1591, and
a 18th century Rectory. Robert Bloomfield
(1766-1823), a poet, renowned for his poem
'The Farmer's Boy' is buried in All Saints'
churchyard. Today, the village Consists of approximately
200 dwellings, a public house, a lower school,
a village hall and a recreation ground. It has a thriving
community with many clubs and societies.
Chicksands adjoins to the northern
of the village, and consists almost entirely
of the wooded Chicksands Priory estate.
It was an American military base until 1995
then reopened as the British Intelligence &
Security Centre in 1997. The Priory (which
was granted the Gilbertine Order in 1150) can be
visited by appointment arranged by
of Chicksands'. Mid Beds Council Offices are situated at
Chicksands along with appoximately 100 ex-ministry
houses which have been sold to the public and are
occupied privately .