1560 Queen Elizabeth granted the manor to Joan Ventris. The Ventris family
built the manor house in 1591 partially on the foundations of an older building.
Although added to and much altered, the manor house can be seen and admired
to this day.
Sir Charles Ventris and his family were living in the house. Sir Charles was
a Knight Banneret (for he had been knighted on the field of battle for bravery
during the Civil War between King Charles' armies and the Roundheads). Knowing
the occupant of the Manor House to be an ardent Royalist, a small armed band
of Roundheads came by night to Campton, crept up to the house, peeped through
the leaded windows and saw Sir Charles in the main downstairs room. One of
the band drew his firearm and fired. Fortunately his aim was poor and he
missed and the shot was embedded in the oak panelling. The damaged panel,
now covered with glass, is still to be seen.
the manor - house and land was sold to Sir George Osbourn Bart whose family
had been in possession of the Chicksands manor since 1578.
the house became a private school, hence the bell tower. Later in the 19th
century it became the dower house of the Osbourn family.
King bought the house from the Osbourns in 1967 less the land on either side
of it. This land now occupied by Grange Gardens and Elm Close.
years the Manor has been owned by a number of private Mr & Mrs Fletcher
owner of the Manor purcahsed it in 2014 and has undertaken extensive refurbishment
and landscaping both inside and out, which is still on going (due to be completed
by the end of 2015).
of Campton and Shefford Manor can be found on the County Archive Website
The history of the Manor can be found in an article by 'British
History on Line'
Details of listed building status