Parish of Campton and Chicksands
(which was formed in 1985) is situated
approximately 9 miles southeast of the town
of Bedford, 13 miles from Junction 13 on
the M1 and 7 miles from Junction 10 on the A1.
The village of Campton is built
around the 13th century All Saints' Church
and stands on a tributary of the
river Ivel. It has a number of old and interesting
buildings including The Manor house, built
in 1591, and a 18th century Rectory.
(1766-1823), a poet, renowned for his
poem 'The Farmer's Boy' is buried in All Saints'
churchyard. Today, the village Consists of approximately
200 dwellings, a public house, a lower
school, a village hall and a recreation ground.
It has a thriving community with many clubs and societies.
Chicksands adjoins to the northern
edge of the village, and consists almost
entirely of the wooded Chicksands
Priory estate. It was an American military
base until 1995 then reopened as the British
Intelligence & Security Centre in 1997.
The Priory (which was granted the Gilbertine Order
in 1150) can be visited by appointment arranged
by 'The Friends
of Chicksands'. Mid Beds Council Offices are situated
at Chicksands along with appoximately 100
ex-ministry houses which have been sold to the
public and are occupied privately .